Common Error Messages in Microsoft Access
In this video we'll discuss the most common error messages you may get while using Microsoft Access, what they are, what causes them, and how to deal with them.
Ethan from Portland, Maine (a Gold Member) asks: I keep getting randomly getting the error message "Couldn't save; currently locked by another user" when I try to edit a customer record. I'm the only user of this database. What could be the problem?
Members will learn about a bunch of additional, more advanced error messages, including those caused while working with Access VBA programming.
Silver Members and up get access to an Extended Cut of this video. Gold Members can download the database template from class plus get access to the Code Vault. If you signed up on YouTube you have to contact me so I can set up your account here on my web site. If you're not a member, Join Today!
Error Messages Covered
- Out of Disk Space
- Not enough space on temporary disk
- This database was created with the 64-bit version of Microsoft Access.
- Microsoft Access can’t find the wizard
- Microsoft Access can’t find the dynamic-link library
- Out of Memory
- System resource exceeded
- Out of stack space
- Database is Exclusively Locked
- Database has Reached Maximum Size
- Microsoft Access can’t start because there is no license for it on this machine
- Product activation failed
- ODBC Connection Failed
- ODBC - call failed
- Your network access was interrupted
- Network I/O error
- Data integrity rules have been changed
- Existing data violates the new record validation rule
- Table XXX is a linked table whose design can’t be modified
- Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission
- You can’t modify this table now because someone else is using it
- There is no primary key defined
- Deleting field XXX requires Microsoft Access to delete one or more indexes
- Cannot delete this field. It is part of one or more relationships
- The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship.
- This recordset is not updatable
- Relationships that specify cascading deletes are about to cause 2 record(s) in this table, along with related records in related tables, to be deleted
- The number is too large
- Couldn't save; currently locked by another user
- The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add
- The Microsoft Access database engine stopped the process
- Expression too Complex
- Division by zero
- Type mismatch
- You can’t sort on this field.
- You can’t sort on the asterisk
- You can’t calculate totals on the asterisk
- Query must have at least one destination field
- The specified field XXX could refer to more than one table
- Enter parameter value
- You are about to run an update query that will modify data in your table
- Microsoft Access can’t update all the records in the update query.
- The section width is greater than the page width
- You can’t use aggregate functions in a page header or footer
Error Messages Extended Cut
- Microsoft Access can’t find the database containing the linked table
- Record(s) can't be added; no insert permission
- Can't group on fields selected with '*'
- Cannot use '*' in crosstab query
- Encrypting with a block cipher is incompatible with row level locking
- The name you supplied is a reserved word
- Changing to this data type requires removal of one or more indexes
- Microsoft Access can’t start the spelling checker because it isn’t installed
- Microsoft Access can’t sort on the Memo, OLE Object, or Hyperlink
- You can’t change a random-valued AutoNumber field to an incremental AutoNumber field
- The expression you entered contains invalid syntax
- Syntax error
- Unknown Function Name
- Wrong Number of Arguments
- Too few parameters
- The current version of Microsoft Access does not support replicated databases
- Microsoft Access truncated the expression you entered
- You entered an expression that requires a form to be the active window.
- You cannot assign a multivalued or Attachment field to the Link Master Fields or Link Child Fields properties
- The expression you entered exceeds the 1,024-character limit for the query design grid
- You can’t disable a control while it has the focus
- You can’t hide a control that has the focus
- Microsoft Access can’t move the focus to the control
- Too many active users
- No Current Record
- Cannot include Memo, OLE, or Hyperlink Object
- Too many expressions in GROUP BY clause
- Too many expressions in ORDER BY clause
- Item not found in this collection
- Field XXX can't be a zero-length string
- Error 1907. Could not register font. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to install fonts, and that the system supports this font.
- Cannot Compile Project
- MAPI folder or address book not found
microsoft access, ms access, #msaccess, #microsoftaccess, #help, #howto, #tutorial, #instruction, #learn, #lesson, #training, #database, microsoft access error, not enough space on disk, not responding, not working, has stopped working, odbc connection failed, product activation failed, key violations, you must enter a valid in the field, your network access was interrupted, keeps shutting down, keeps crashing, keeps closing